Trails

LX-11 Clachan of Campsie and The Red Tub Tearooms

Clachan is a small hamlet in Campsie Glen. It was originally known as Kirkton. One of the central buildings here was called Aldessan House and owned by the Donaldson family. It was known as the Crown Inn and then the Red Tub Tearooms.
The Red Tub Tea Rooms opened on the 3rd of June 1922. The tea rooms were open on a seasonal basis and ran by well-known local ladies including Mrs. Black, Mrs. Donaldson and Miss Kincaid Lennox. Set at the foot of the Campsie Hills, the tea room featured a Rose Garden that looked onto the hills. It became very popular in part due to the improvements made to local walkways, encouraging visitors, with the addition of an eighteen-hole putting green and then later hard tennis courts, opposite the tea rooms, helping to add to its popularity.
From 1936 – 1938 a boxing ring was temporarily erected in a field to the right of the tea rooms. Benny Lynch, Scotland’s first World Championship boxer would use it to prepare for world championship fights. Boxing fans would swarm the area to get a glimpse of the legendary Flyweight boxer in action and visit the tea rooms for refreshment. The tearooms closed at the start of the Second World War and although it was the site of V.E. Day celebrations in 1945, it did not reopen again on a regular.

References
Old Lennoxtown, Campsie Glen, Milton of Campsie and Torrance — John Hood
Place Names of Kirkintilloch and District — Kirkintilloch & District Society of Antiquaries
Campsie Glen Picture Album — Loretta Mullholland
Time Travellers: Buildings and People — Campsie Local History Group


Next Tale on the Trail: Campsie Hills

Back to Lennoxtown Trail page


[LX-914]

Map

Trails