Trails

LX-06 The Campsie Branch Railway

The line to Lennoxtown opened on the 5th July 1848 and started at Campsie Junction, now Lenzie.
At one point there was two stations in Lennoxtown; Lennoxtown (Blane Valley) and Lennoxtown (Old). Lennoxtown (Old) became goods only in 1881 and contained an engine shed, goods shed and industrial sidings serving Lennoxtown Printworks.
The Blane Valley Railway station was closed to passenger trains on the 1st October 1951, while goods trains continued on the line until 1959. The line was an extension of the Glasgow to Edinburgh line and went as far as Aberfoyle. The line closed in 1966.

References
Old Lennoxtown, Campsie Glen, Milton of Campsie and Torrance — John Hood
The Aberfoyle branch and Blane Valley railway — John Evans
A Timeline of Transport and People – Campsie Local History Group


Next Tale on the Trail: Campsie Spring

Back to Lennoxtown Trail page



[LX-907]

Map

Trails