KW-18 Subscription School

The Waterside Subscription School constructed by Wm. Aitken & Company Contractors opened in 1839.The School would have been funded by Public Subscription. Most schools of this type would consist of a school room with a kitchen on the ground level. The accommodation for the School Master and his family on the second level was reached by an outside staircase. Each pupil would be charged a fee to attend the Subscription School.
By the end of the 18th Century as various Churches and Local Authorities built schools most of the Subscription Schools were closed. The building was then taken over and managed by the Waterside villagers, Trustees elected and the upstairs accommodation occupied by the caretaker and family.
The Hall as it became known was let to the villagers for numerous purposes which included Sunday schools, Community Council meetings, and a huge variety of functions.
This continued until the Spring of 2016 when it was deemed unsafe and closed for public us. The family who lived upstairs purchased the building and extensive structural renovations were carried out to make it safe and habitable, this work continues.

Edward Z Smith, Author & Images