TO-10 Miss Pirie

Miss Sheena Pirie lived at Wardend House until the 1980s when she moved to Crieff where she lived until her death. Miss Pirie made a significant contribution to Girlguiding and to the local community. She founded Girlguiding in Torrance with 1st Torrance Guides, in 1924. As the popularity of Guiding grew under her leadership she later opened 1st Torrance Brownie unit in 1925, 1st Torrance Ranger unit in 1927, and 2nd Torrance Brownie unit in 1961. Miss Pirie created log books which are a work of art in their own right with writing, photographs and drawings describing and depicting many Guiding activities, including many local walks. The log books have been digitalised and are available to view in the William Patrick Library in Kirkintilloch.

Next Tale on the Trail: Caldwell Halls

Back to Torrance Trail page