WB-05 Garden Suburb

Children of the original tenants of Maxwell Avenue

When the village of Westerton was being built, spaces for leisure activities were being sought out by the residents. Three local men, known as George, Jimmy and Dick, called a meeting to discuss the possibility of a Bowling Club. They canvassed door to door to gather support and membership interest with great success and a site was selected, with building work beginning in early 1948.
An ex-army Nissan hut was acquired to serve as a clubhouse, locker room and social hall. The Westerton Male Voice Choir originated from here and were originally known as the ‘Glee Club’. The club had a large social side with games nights, pantomines, cabaret nights, a bridge club and dancing classes taking place there. The bowling club officially opened on the 4th of June 1949.
The bowling club is just off Maxwell Avenue to the rear of the Westerton Library.