BL The Free Church

The Free Church congregation of Baldernock originated at the time of the Disruption of the churches in 1843, when the Minister of Baldernock Church, Mr John Pollock “led out” his parishioners to form a new congregation. Sites for churches were difficult to find and for about two years, services were held in a tent at nearby Dowan Farm. The Manse, later extended to become Baldernock House, was built by local farmers in about 1848. The white, hall-like building behind Baldernock House was the Free Church.

The family of the late Colonel Alexander Ogilvie Robertson were members of the Church – two uncles were deacons, driving over to the services from Milngavie with their pony and trap. After the union of churches, when St Paul’s in Milngavie became the Free Church, the Robertsons bought the church bell which is dated 1843 and it was put in a family mill where it tolled the dinner break. Mr Jackson of Barr and Stroud then acquired the Manse and extended it into Baldernock House. It was bought in 1956 by the Ogilvie Robertson family who brought back the bell.

Fiona Howie, Baldernock Community

Another Tale on the Trail: Baker’s Hole

Jump to the next Tale on the Trail: Flucter Mill