Trails

WB-07 Canniesburn Hospital

View from Canniesburn Hospital

Doctors at Glasgow’s Royal Infirmary Hospital believed that some patients could recover more rapidly in an auxiliary annexe outside of the city. To facilitate this the hospital acquired land formerly owned by Canniesburn Golf Club, in order to build Canniesburn Hospital. Trustees allowed for a wing to be used by patients from the Royal Infirmary. The rest of the building was reserved for paying patients with “limited income”. The Hospital opened in 1938.

References
Old Bearsden — William M McKinlay and Ian B Hamilton


Next Tale on the Trail: St Germain’s Loch

Back to Westerton & Bearsden Trail page

[WB-009]

Map

Trails