Trails

TO-11 Caldwell Halls

Caldwell Hall, Torrance

The Caldwell Halls Trust took over the management of the halls from East Dunbartonshire Council on 17th December 2010 to save the hall from closure. The Halls were originally a village school and records show that the land was feued for a school in 1813. The 2 storey section of the Caldwell Halls dates back to around this time. The upper floor was the schoolmaster’s residence which was reached by an outside staircase at the rear of the building. Classes were held on the ground floor. The large hall was added around 1880. A school is depicted on the site of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1858 — 1863. The hall to the West was built in the 1870s. The buildings were given to the village in 1925 and the Caldwell Halls were officially opened in 1927. The building was converted into a public hall in the 1920s when an external stair to the rear was removed. It has been altered considerably internally over the years. The Caldwell Halls still remain a village landmark and continue to be the hub of village life today.


Next Tale on the Trail: Kelvin Valley Railway
Another Tale on the Trail: Miss Pirie & the Girl Guides

Back to Torrance Trail page

[TO-320]

Map

Trails