The Antonine Wall in East Dunbartonshire has been excavated on numerous occasions. The Glasgow Archaeological Society undertook the earliest scientific investigation of the visible remains in 1890 – 93.
Excavations and archaeological work, in the vicinity of Peel Park, for example, was carried out in 1899, 1906, 1914, 1952 - 1961, 1975, 1978 - 1979, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1995, 2002 and 2006.
A series of excavations began in Bearsden in 1973 and by 1982 a fairly comprehensive plan of the fort was possible. The stonework of the bathhouse discovered in 1973, constitutes the most impressive single building to be seen along the Antonine Wall.
Analysis of sewage deposits to the east of the bathhouse indicated that the soldiers’ diet included raspberries and figs. Coriander and poppy seeds, also found, were probably used in flavouring wholemeal bread. Hunting was a popular off-duty activity among Roman soldiers. The presence of animal bones indicates that some meat was consumed, although it is thought that the diet was primarily vegetarian with amounts of cereal products.
From the late 18th century onwards, objects from the Antonine Wall began to be discovered as a result of industrial development including the construction of roads, the Forth and Clyde canal, the growth of towns and villages and the intensification of farming. Many of the objects went to the Hunterian Museum at the University of Glasgow which was the only public museum in existence at that time in Scotland.
Maker/Manufacturer: The Romans
Location of Origin: Roman Road, Bearsden
Location Now: Auld Kirk Museum
Date: c 150